Aircraft Structural Metal Bonding Repair (Stage I)
Course code: TECH-100.
Course duration: 5 Days
This hands-on CACRC PART 4-Commercial Aircraft Structure Metal Bond Repair training course is about the repair of Aircraft Aluminium sandwich structure damages using SRM required surface preparation and repair methods as prescribed by type of Aircraft per OEM manual.
This EFC course complies SAE-CACRC PART 4 and EASA standards.
Non, or Personnel of technical departments having basic knowledge of composite materials and/or completed the EFC TECH-001-(Stage I), or equivalent level.
This is a Basic hands-on Training course (compliant with Level 1 to 3, Part 147 R Teaching levels)
Personnel of technical departments or certifying staff with some Basic knowledge of composites who want to get familiar with Aircraft Structural Metal Bonded Repairs able to understand/repair metal bonded structure damages in accordance with the type related OEM Repair Manuals.
The number of participants: Minimum 2 and Maximum 12 per course*.
* Courses will be confirmed as running by EFC as soon as sufficient applications are received!
At the end of this most Hands-on Structural metal bonding course the participants:
- Must be able to work in groups of two with minimum supervision
- Must be attentive to details
- Will be able to repair adhesively bonded aluminium structure components in accordance with the OEM manual of the specific type of aircraft
- Can work according to Safety regulations and can recognize hazardous materials & situations
- Can assess type of damage by NDI, photography & Recordkeeping
- Can perform various types of damage according to the OEM manual:
- half dept core repair with septum placement
- full dept core repair with aerodynamical flush
- Can surface prep. aluminium structure repair prior to bonding in accordance with the OEM manual using Corrosion Inhibiting primer - Surface pretreatment Boegel / Sol-Gel AC130-2
- Can successfully fabricate aluminium ASTMD test coupons (witness samples) alongside the repairs such as: Floating Roller Peel, Lap shear, Climbing Drum peel and Wedge test
- Will be able to handle and install foaming adhesives, film adhesives and positioning cloth
- Will be able to monitor total material, Lifecycle, 'Out time' of all frozen materials using a 'Freezer Out time form'.
- Knows how to use and/or program and monitor different heat and hot bonding systems for curing
- Can and is able to fabricate quick composite reinforced support tooling for aluminium bonded structure
- Must be able to understand criteria required in SAE- Aerospace Info Report AIR-4838 (last revision)
- Can perform a Post-Repair inspection, photography of repair & Recordkeeping
Contents Theory (level 2-3)
- Fundamentals of structural bonding techniques
- ASTM test coupons & fabrication of ASTM 'Witness' samples
- Aluminium honeycomb hexagonal core materials and cell types
- O.E.M. manuals (SRM) and other necessary documents
- Damage Awareness & damage incidents reporting
- O.E.M. Additional Repair manual chapters Repair Damage assessment scratches, dents e.a
- Record keeping/ documentation and photography
- Boegel Sol-Gel (AC-130-2 )processes and PACS, PANTA, HFL Alodine methods
- Destructive and non-destructive testing of aluminium bonded structures
- Surface preparation & different Repair type assessment
- Use of hot-bonding equipment, pros and cons of different heating devises
- Possible Heatsinks & Insulation in metallic structure
- Application of Quick Repair Support Tooling for metal bonded structure
- Safety General
Workshop (Level 3)
The Participants will :
- Fabricate ASTM test coupons (witness samples) lap shear, wedge test, floating roller peel test alongside repairs in environmental conditions and analyze failure methods
- Perform damage assessment by inspection and photography and perform record keeping
- Perform vacuum leak checks on every repair and keep record
- Apply Surface preparation and repair steps to be taken
- Perform metal bond repairs on aluminium honeycomb sandwich structure per the OEM manual
- Program and monitor hot bonding equipment, change programs and parameters during curing
- Learn the importance of thermocouple placement on adhesively bonded structure
- Learn about insulation of metallic structure and of heat sink prevention by insulating methods
- Perform Post-Repair inspection on all repairs and keep record
- All record keeping will be evaluated by the instructor(s)
- Multiple choice questions from each of the teachings Level 2-3
- Successful completion is 75% correct answers (The examination will be closed book)
- The practical mark will be the average of all marks gained from the practical exercises including the outcome of the destructive testing of the fabricated test coupons and personal logbook per student
- All grades will be recorded in the participant individual training records and kept on record at EFC and your company for unlimited time (compliant with Reference EASA Commission Regulation (EU)No 1321/2014)
- A certificate of accomplishment is handed out to each participant.
This course can also be held at our facility in, Bicester UK at the Bicester Banbury College.
Minimum participants; 4 and Max. 12. See our Upcoming course schedule
Contact our purchasing manager Rolf Hovener via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
Request for 'On-Site' Training
This course can be requested for an 'On-Site' training at your company under certain Terms & Conditions.
It will involve additional cost such as Instructor(s) Travel, lodging, daily allowance, shipping /ensuring material and bringing in equipment plus 25% at cost.
Note for companies only:
- If required, our Training course can be tailored made to meet your specific needs.
- Course dates as noted on our schedule can be adjusted on request to a required starting date.
For information & requirements, contact our business & purchasing manager Rolf Hovener via e-mail at email@example.com or Owner / Founder Bert Groenewoud via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
all listed course prices are Ex VAT. Dutch VAT is 21% (comparable with VAT). EFC complies with Dutch tax laws.
Companies on request can receive an invoice instead of paying online with PayPal, IDEAL or credit card.