Basic Principles of Composite repair
Course code: TECH-001 (Stage I)
Course duration: 5 Days
All EFC courses comply SAE-CACRC, FAA, CAA and EASA standards.
This is a Training ‘level 1-2’ composite repair course. It is our most “Basic” composite course designed to meet the requirements of a wide range of participants / technicians from beginner to intermediate technician who want to have a better understanding of advanced composites .
This composite course is an advised prerequisite for EFC courses such as the TECH-010 Intermediate and TECH-020 Advanced Repair course.
Personnel of technical departments having no prior experience or training with Fiber Reinforced Composites and wanting to gain a better understanding of advanced composite materials and processes such as, lay-up, laminate different materials, vacuum bagging, fabrication and repair.
Personnel with some composite fabrication & repair experience are also welcome to participate in this basic course.
Number of participants
Minimum required 3 and Maximum 14 per course*.
* Courses will be confirmed as running by EFC as soon as sufficient applications are received!
To provide participants with theoretical knowledge and practical Hands-On skills necessary to carry out basic fabrication and repair.
At the end of the course the participants:
- Must be able to work independently with minimum supervision
- Must be attentive to details
- Can work according to Safety regulations and recognize hazardous situations & materials
- Knows material properties and is familiar with “Handling & Storage” of frozen materials
- Can work safely with pre-preg Carbon fiber, UNI Carbon tape material and is familiar with the effects of orientation and ‘Balance’ and ‘symmetry’ in a laminate
- Knows how work with dry glass fabric and liquid Epoxy resin to impregnate wet in wet (Wet Lay-Up)
- Can apply fundamental vacuum bagging, bleeder & breather concepts
- Can taper sand taper ratios as required by OEM
- Fabricate Carbon and Glass fibre single curved panels with Nomex® honeycomb and foam core
- Performs basic ‘Wet Lay Up’ repair
- Must be able to understand criteria as required in the SAE- CACRC AIR 4838 Training Document
Course content theory (Level 1,2)
- Health and Safety (MSDS)
- History of composites, recent developments and terminology
- Handling & Storage of Frozen materials
- Material Forms: dry cloth and wet resins vs. pre-preg, weave styles
- Fundamentals of Fabrication: dry cloth and pre-preg handling, ply orientation, layup procedures, vacuum bagging techniques
- Introduction to advanced composite materials / structures
- Resin, adhesive systems: thermosets vs. thermoplastics, mix ratios, viscosity, service temperature limits, cold storage requirements / shelf life limits, pot life, etc.
- Material Data Sheet (MDS) reading to determine Open time, Shelf life, and material Cure cycles
- Composite awareness & reporting damage incidents
- Minor Damage assessment, dents scratches and others
- Sanding techniques, scarf angels, step repairs, ply cutting
Workshop exercises (Level 1-2)
Participants will be intensively monitored while fabricating reinforced fiber laminates from Carbon UD, sandwich parts from Aramid and Glass Fiber prep-preg and dry fiber material using various ply lay-Up directions. Lay-Up of vacuum materials and perform vacuum leak checking and curing.
Determine ply directions in Glass, fiber laminates by sanding.
Damage assessment and reporting
Damage removal, scarf preparation for repair using a Wet Lay-Up and pre-preg repair process.
Introduction to oven and Hot Bond repair consoles and their equipment.
- Multiple choice questions from each of the teachings Level 1-2
- Successful completion is 75% correct answers
- The examination will be closed book and can be conducted by a Part 147 approved Examiner
- The practical mark will be the average of all marks gained from the practical exercises
- Assessment activities are built into our courses, to give feedback on the achievement and personal potential and kept record in a personal logbook per student.
- All grades will be recorded in the participant individual training records and kept on record at EFC for unlimited time (compliant with Reference EASA Commission Regulation (EU) No 1321/2014)
- A certifcate of accomplishment is handed out to each participant
Note for companies only:
- If required, our Training courses can be tailored made to meet your specific needs.
- Course dates as noted on our course schedule can be adjusted on request to meet your required starting date.
- If you have a requirement for this, please contact our business development manager, Rolf Hovener, via his personal page.
This currency competence assessment can be hold 'On-Site' at your company under certain conditions.
It will involve additional cost such as: Travel, lodging, daily allowance, shipping / ensuring material and equipment plus 25%. If we do hold this course 'On-Site', there are specific requirements per course regarding the equipment of your company workshop and training material availability.
For information & requirements, contact our business & purchasing manager Rolf Hovener via his personal page.
All listed course prices are Excl VAT. (Dutch VAT is 21%). EFC complies with Dutch tax laws. On request, companies can be sent an invoice instead of paying direct On-line with PayPal, IDEAL or credit card.
|Cost for this course: 2.195,00 EUR|